Completion of this course is worth 1.5 Professional Development Hours.
This training closely follows Chapter 6 of the Erosion & Sediment Pollution Control Program Manual. Specifically, this course will discuss:
- The basics of open channel hydraulics
- Guidelines for channel design
- Items which should be submitted with the E&S plan
- What DEP and conservation district staff need to look for when reviewing proposed channel designs
It is recommended to complete the course E&S Manual Chapter 6 Part I: Introduction to Channels before beginning this training.
- Calculating the flow and velocity of outlet pipes
- Determining tailwater conditions of an outlet pipe
- Sizing riprap aprons based upon outlet conditions
- How to verify if the selected size of riprap is adequate for an outlet
Learners are recommended to have a copy of the Erosion & Sediment Pollution Control Program Manual nearby while taking this training. If you do not have a copy, see the resources page for a download link.